Whether you like winter or desire the warmer months in Newton, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it needs to be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at Brookwood Inc can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Brookwood Inc in Newton a call to begin. You can reach us at 641-316-9803 or arrange an appointment with us online.