On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how regularly your air filter has been replaced, to name a few—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Brookwood Inc in Newton about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the amount of time between specialized cleanings.
Above all, arrange routine HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Brookwood Inc. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running effectively, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Brookwood Inc about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters habitually and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that permit dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Newton home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Brookwood Inc a call at 641-316-9803.