While the cold season seems like it’s already been around for much too long, its influence on our heating bill is just beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To begin reducing your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Working to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a call at 641-316-9803. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Newton weather.