As the temp increases, so does your air conditioning bills. To keep your cooling costs down you may be wondering, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Newton?
It’s a widespread belief that turning your AC unit on and off throughout the day is wasteful. This is actually a myth.
Keeping your air conditioner running all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We suggest moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re away, and turning it down when you return. You can achieve this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat is able to do the job for you.
It’s significantly more taxing for your system to keep a constant temperature for many hours. It can also cause a lot of stress on your equipment, since it’s constantly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it can also result in a shorter life expectancy for your HVAC system.
In any case, the bigger the difference between your indoor temperature and the outside temperature, the greater your air conditioning expenses will be. So, what can you do to keep cool and keep your utility bills lower in the summer season? Here are our tips based on recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Approaches to Enhance Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Adjust Your Thermostat. The DOE states that you can save up to 10% a year on heating and cooling by increasing your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re away at work. In the hotter months, it’s suggested to set your thermostat at 78 degrees while you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s additionally important to avoid setting your thermostat to a lower setting than usual when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool your home any faster, it just leads to bigger utility costs. While these temperatures could appear toasty, there are additional approaches to keep cool without having to consistently run the air conditioner.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says raising the thermostat by just 2 degrees and utilizing your ceiling fan can lessen energy by up to 14% throughout the cooling season. It’s important to keep in mind that fans cool people, not rooms. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to save energy. Also, keeping blinds down and curtains shut during the day helps keep cool air indoors. There are also some window solutions made to deliver added insulation and improve energy efficiency.
- Adequately Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky openings around a residence permit cooler air to rapidly slip out and warmer air to get in. This could result in your AC equipment being required to work harder to keep your house cooler and your AC expenses to skyrocket. Make sure that any gaps, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are simple mends for leaks or drafts close to windows and doors.
- Plan for Regular Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance makes sure your air conditioner is always functioning at its best. This permits our professionals to find little issues before they become significant dilemmas. A well-kept AC unit is generally more efficient and can even run for a greater period of time.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the best methods to guarantee comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat automatically changes the temperature based on your daily schedule. It works with your smartphone to notice when you’re home or out to optimize your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could actually save you about $180 yearly on energy expenses.
- Consider Replacing Your AC Unit. You can expect an adequately taken care of air conditioner to live for 15-20 years. But if you’re often contacting us for air conditioning repair or your AC costs are skyrocketing with no altering in thermostat settings, it might be time for a new system. We offer a number of energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without negotiating comfort.
Increase Your House’s Energy Efficiency with Brookwood Inc
No one wants to see their energy bill climb during the warm months. If you’re wanting more ways to keep your energy usage and costs down this summer, our team can help. Give us a call at 641-316-9803 or contact us online today for extra information.