They say knowledge is power, and that’s undoubtedly the truth when it comes to your air conditioner. While complex repairs are best left to specialists, it’s helpful to have a practical understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve general AC issues.
Knowing how your AC works and the frequent problems it faces will allow you to fix little problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you money on minor service calls, but understanding when to reach out to a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into catastrophic repairs.
Your AC is an essential part of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified technician for air conditioning repair in Newton if you're unsure about any aspect of your AC's operation or maintenance.
Here are several typical questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning an air conditioner is a good way to make sure it runs efficiently, and very well could extend the life of your unit.
The most important action you can take on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter captures dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those impurities from the air circulating in your home. If your AC filter becomes plugged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it really should in order to pull air through the filter. A clean filter removes the airborne debris while still permitting air to flow easily through the system.
Replacement filters are available at most major home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be ordered from your local HVAC professional. A good way to make sure you get the proper filter is to look at your old one before you head out for the store, taking care to write down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also a good idea to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are hoping to buy something similar.
For detailed service of your air conditioner, contact the seasoned professionals like the crew at Brookwood Inc to do scheduled maintenance on your unit. They’ll inspect your system, clean or lubricate parts that need it and look for worn-out parts and potential issues.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to making certain that your indoor AC unit is functioning efficiently, it’s necessary to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outside unit of your cooling system is a simple way to boost its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which are attached to extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the outside air. This brings down the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back into your home so it can absorb more heat from the air inside your home. Cleaning the fins and the coils will help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip off the the on/off switch, as opposed to turning the thermostat off.
2) Take off the top of the outdoor AC so you can access the interior of the unit. Then, being careful not to stress any cords or attachments, safely move the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, first at the top and working down. Commercial coil cleaners are sold and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as products foaming solutions that are sprayed on with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most brands, it's recommended that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a brief period of time to attack the grime and then softly spray it off with a garden hose. Be cautious not to spray very hard, because that could damage the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the unit to dry before turning the unit back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner can vary based on the type of unit, its quality, if maintained and how often it's used. However, industry experts say you should start getting ready for air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get the most mileage out of your air conditioner is through regular conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from Brookwood Inc includes cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as changing out the dirty filter and repairing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating a long time, reach out to us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Newton.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Finding the proper size of air conditioner for your home is vital for maintaining comfort and efficiency. Here are some factors to think about when deciding what size air conditioner is right for your home:
- Square footage: The total area of the space you need to cool is one of the most important factors. More expansive spaces necessitate more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes preserve cool air better, which could minimize your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you are living in a hotter climate, you'll want a more powerful air conditioner compared to a homeowner living in a cooler place.
- Number of windows: Windows frequently let in heat, particularly when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house produce additional body heat, which may influence your cooling needs.
- Existing HVAC system: The size and performance of your current system can provide a jumping off point for determining what you need.
Due to the fact the size of your AC is so essential to your home’s comfort, you will definitely want a professional opinion. At Brookwood Inc, we take the time to fully understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other factors such as your home’s layout and size. This attention to detail and commitment to customer service is why Brookwood Inc is known for exceptional air conditioning installation in Newton.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices fluctuate depending on the kind of the unit and your home’s unique requirements, a new air conditioner generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. On the plus side, a benefit of air conditioning replacement is that new air conditioners are crafted to be extremely efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price of an air conditioner is affected by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs as well as federal regulations that necessitate changes to the design.
Know these are average costs and prices can vary. It's always smart to get numerous quotes from trusted HVAC companies before making a choice. If you’re considering air conditioning replacement in Newton, contact Brookwood Inc. We can provide you with a free estimate, describe the procedure and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
Air conditioning freezing up can be caused by many factors, all of which boil down to the system's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your AC is having issues causing it to freeze up, it is most likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some frequent reasons for AC freezing up:
- Poor airflow: If the air isn't flowing easily through your AC system, it can't sufficiently absorb heat. This could be due to a clogged air filter, something stopping air from flowing through the return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is starting to get low on refrigerant, it may become too cold and freeze up. This is usually because of leakages in the refrigerant lines.
- Frigid outdoor temperatures: Using your air conditioner when it's too cold outside can cause the system to freeze. Most units aren't designed to perform in temperatures lower than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Broken thermostats, damaged blower motors and issues with the relay or control board can all contribute to an AC unit freezing up.
Brookwood Inc is the Trusted Source for Air Conditioning Service in Newton.
At Brookwood Inc, we are focusing on making your home a comfortable and pleasant place. Our knowledgeable specialists are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and are experienced on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us their first call for air conditioning repair in Newton and neighboring towns.
If you’re planning to upgrade or its time for a new air conditioner, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-class air conditioning installation in Newton. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Call Brookwood Inc today at 641-316-9803 to schedule an appointment or free estimate!